Thursday, July 28, 2016

Day 19 - Home!

My day started with a 3 1/2 hour drive to Guatemala City and ended at home.  Filipe, he man who drove me to Guatemala City is the H.I.M. in-country coordinator's cousin and does not speak English.  I no longer remember enough Spanish to carry on a 3 1/2 hour conversation so there was time to reflect on my trip.  However, we did our best and it was really good practice.  What is the universal language?  Soccer?  No, baseball!  I asked him if he had ever visited the U.S. and he said no, but he wanted to because he loves baseball and wants to watch a major league game.  We talked baseball for the rest of the trip.  Filipe knows the sport inside and out.  He plays for a team and coaches a group of high school-aged boys.  He showed me pictures, videos, and even took me to their fields in Guatemala City.  When I told him my husband is a Red Sox fan, we discussed Big Papi's year and speculated on whether he will actually retire after a year like this.  It was a lot of fun.  I invited him to go to a Mariners game if he ever visits Washington. 

What an amazing experience - one that I hope I repeat multiple times in the coming years and for much longer periods of time in my retirement, but this is where I belong.

3 comments:

  1. Holly, even before you said it I knew this was the life for you. I can hear it in your logs and see it on your face in the occasional photos of you. It's nice to find your calling but you must be torn between your family and the pull of your calling. My heart goes out to you. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Hol! What an amazing experience! So glad you're home safely. I've been praying for you and following your blog posts. Thanks for keeping us all posted. Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that baseball was your passing time talk - our past time. Sports are a universal language. They help make the world feel smaller, something I've been keenly aware of in recent weeks. Proud of you. Much love!

    ReplyDelete