Thursday, July 21, 2016

Belize - Day 13

I performed a site-visit today at the Hillside International Clinic in Elridgeville, Toledo District, Belize.  I rode a packed old school bus to get to the spur road that it's on and walked the rest of the way.  The clinic is doing important work here.  They provide healthcare and healthcare education to the villages in the Toledo district, including taking mobile clinics to 16 remote villages each month.  I met with the Director of Rehab, a PT from Sweden, and spent the morning providing outpatient evaluations with him.  We spent the afternoon doing home health visits.  Unfortunately, there were too many barriers (mostly space issues) for it to be a good option for me to bring students here, but it was a great experience none-the-less. 
Tomorrow: Guatemala!
I have a broken screen viewer on my camera and no photo editing on this computer, so my pictures might be rough.




Patient waiting area outside the clinic.  Adam will tell you that this is actually nicer than the waiting area in my first clinic in Germany.
The PT clinic
 
Patient handout on machete use

 I opened the supply cabinet and look what I found!  The book on the left was written by my friend and mentor, Rich Baxter, and the second edition was published while we were in Korea.  I sent him a message to let him know that he is reaching all corners of the world.
  
The director of nursing discussing a case with two British medical students.
 
PT student, Samantha, putting wheelchairs into a landrover for home health visits.
 
There is only one ambulance in the whole district and I spotted it in town this morning.  Adam will not be surprised to hear that I learned that motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death in Belize.



1 comment:

  1. Holly, what exciting work you are doing. I am so proud of you and your work. I am very fortunate to have two daughters-in-law that open their hearts to the world and help others. Please be safe, enjoy your work and thanks for sharing your experiences. Love ya, Pam

    ReplyDelete