Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Pictures from Peru

I have a better internet connection and can post pictures from my trip.  I was not allowed to take pictures at the sites where I volunteered.  Understandably, this was to preserve the dignity and privacy of very vulnerable individuals. 
 
This historic district of Lima

 
Main cathedral in the plaza



 
 
The presidential palace, which is next to the cathedral on the plaza.  Imagine the next three pictures right beside each other like a panoramic picture.



If you look closely you can see the guards of the palace.


San Francisco Cathedral - home of the catacombs


Views of Villa El Salvador, the neighborhood in Lima where El Martincitos is located.
 
 


I see so many things on motorcycles in countries that I visit.  Pigs and coffins in Vietnam; families of six cruising in Guatemala; a lawnmower in Peru.
 
 El Martincitos.  Everyone is inside eating breakfast.
I took this from in front of the car where we parked to visit a young man (really, a kid), who is paralyzed from a construction accident.  We could not drive any further because he lives on such a steep hill that you have to walk up steps to get to the houses.  The most marginalized people live at the top of the hills in most neighborhoods.  For obvious reasons, a person with a disability that results in limitations in mobility such as a spinal cord injury, stroke, or other neurologic disorder, is essentially homebound.
 
I forgot to mention the park and zoo!  In the middle of our home visit morning, Tony, the director of El Martincitos, took us to a park and zoo!  He shared a lot about the history of the neighborhood of Villa El Salvador.  Tony grew up here, which is why he has such a heart for los abuelitos.  He recalled the time when one of his teachers brought his class to the desert area a few blocks from the school.  They each planted a tree.  The teacher told them that the trees would grow and good things would come of it.  The rest of the year they carried water jugs to the trees to water them.  Tony says that the kids thought the teacher was crazy.  Later, more trees were planted, and the spot in the desert became a park with a small zoo, a lake, small amusement rides, a tent camping area, and an ampitheater.  The teacher actually founded the park, which is an oasis for this district in Lima.  These are the exact trees that Tony and his classmates planted.
 
 
 
I spent my last evening contemplating my trip at the Pacific Ocean.  I actually spent most of my time down on the beach, but didn't take any pictures from there.  I just enjoyed the sounds of the ocean.




Old time surfing mural on the way down to the beach



 

2 comments:

  1. Soooo missing South America ... wish I could meet you in Peru. Lima is a beautiful city. Love the photo of you on the bench with the cobblestone kind of look that is such a definition of South America. Each morning at the crack of dawn in Rio they began hammering on the street outside my hotel fixing the sidewalks with those tiny pieces.
    If you see a fun piece of jewelry for under $10 U.S. I'd love it and will send you a check! No worries if not. I'm kind of a collector now of fun pieces.
    Lots of Love ... proud of you, Hol! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an incredible trip, Hol! Just finished reading your open letters. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete