Monday, September 26, 2016

Peru - Day 2

Another open letter to Evan and Nathan.


Dear Evan and Nathan,


Today I volunteered at Marincitos, which is a day center for 150 severely impoverished seniors.  They arrive for breakfast and are also served lunch.  In between, they have crafts, games, literacy classes, social time.  The long term goal of the program is to meet the daily living needs of the elderly, to provide companionship and community, and to promote respect and dignity for the for the for the aging people in Villa El Salvador, Peru.  Most of the seniors have no access to healthcare, so they also have an area for rehabilitation, but no physical or occupational therapist now.  There was a massage therapist and a reflexologist.  I spent a little time with the masseuse.  When I introduced myself to the reflexologist, she was very happy that I was there.  She brought in four people to have me evaluate so I could teach her how to help them.  One lady had the most severe scoliosis that I've every seen and a the worst case of neurofibromatosis that I've ever seen.  (Don't look that up for them, Adam.)  Another man had a traumatic brain injury (probably severe based on his presentation) and had not had any medical care.  She described his mobility after the injury and they showed me the exercises that she did with him and she had specific questions about how to help him further.  She had done a fabulous job with him.  He was so lucky to have her.  I showed them four new exercises, but wish he had some follow-up.  I also saw two people who had strokes.  All-in-all it was a good morning.  You would not believe how happy everyone was to be there.  It was like Disneyland for elderly people.  So many genuine smiles. 


In the late afternoon we went to the Inca Market to shop (way too much time shopping) and then to Miraflores, which is a neighborhood on the Pacific Ocean with a great park and path overlooking the ocean.  I saw a lot of surfers.  We spent way too little time there, but I might try to get back there tomorrow afternoon.


I love you and miss you!
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment