Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Peru - Day 4

Dear Evan and Nathan,

The drive to the airport was not the most harrowing I've been on in Peru, but it was close!  The fun part about the drive, though, was that my driver, Javier, asked if I spoke Spanish.  I told him I spoke a little, but needed practice, so he told me that he would practice with me.  We visited the whole trip, which was about 1 1/2 hours.  First, he told me about his trip to Cuzco last month, and even showed me pictures on his phone.  He also decided that I should learn to appreciate Peruvian music, which he knew a whole lot about.  He switched through at least 50 songs, telling me what type of music each one was and what region of the country it was from, and what social or political impact the type music had on society.  We'd listen to about a minute of each song and then he'd switch to the next one.  It was fascinating.  It was fun to spend my last hours in the country with someone who was so interesting and who was intent on sharing his language and his culture.

I'm looking forward to seeing you!
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment