Sunday, September 25, 2016

Peru - Day 1

An open letter to Evan and Nathan.

Hi Boys!
My internet connection is too slow to upload pictures, so I will write about my trip so you know what I am doing and will show you the pictures when I get home.


I arrived in Lima at 4:30 this morning, and arrived at the house I am staying at by 6:30.  Our morning consisted of a orientation to the program and to our work sites.  I will be at two sites this week. One is a senior center for extremely impoverished and vulnerable senior citizens.  I will work at the center and do home visits for them.  The second site is a nursing home-type setting that houses 150 children with severe physical and cognitive disabilities and 100 adult men with severe physical and cognitive disabilities from acquired neurologic injuries such as stroke, brain injuries, and spinal cord injuries.


We spent the afternoon on a walking tour of old Lima. Lima was founded in 1535 by Francisco Pizarro.  That's a long time ago!  I saw beautiful architecture at three cathedrals, the president's palace, the mayor's home and city hall, and other downtown.  The most impressive spot was the Plaza Mayor.  We also went through the church and monastery of San  Francisco.  It was built in the 1600s.  The architecture was Spanish with a lot of Moorish influence and was incredible.  We also toured the catacombs under the church, which is where they put people after they died.  It is said to contain the remains of 70,000-90,000 people.  I saw thousands of bones - mostly femurs, humeruses (or humerii?), and skulls.  You know I loved all those bones!

Tomorrow I will go to work.

I love you and miss you!
Love,
Mom
P.S. Tell your dad I've heard more Lionel Richie today than I did in the '80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment