Friday, March 16, 2018

Guatemala - Day 6

Dear Evan and Nathan,
     Today was our last day of seeing patients in Guatemala.  We spent the day at the clinic in Gualan.  We saw 125 patients in 5 days.  That is a lot!  Today felt slower than the rest until we got a 2:00 rush and everyone seemed to need physical therapy.  This week has been an extremely rewarding experience.  It is rewarding as a clinician - we have helped so many people to live with less pain, improve function, and (for children) increase their participation in their family.  And it is rewarding as a teacher - each individual has been treated with a great deal of dignity, compassion, and competence.  These women have shown a passion for serving and for our profession.
     Tomorrow we leave at 5:00 am to drive to Antigua.  We have to leave that early to avoid the traffic from construction over the mountain pass.  That should give us the whole afternoon to explore Antigua.  I think you guys might get tired of walking and seeing the sites, but your dad would love it and I wish he were there to share it with me.  One of the highlights of this trip, though, has been getting to know my students better.  These women are truly a joy to be around and have varied and interesting backgrounds.  I know I will enjoy the last two days with them.
     This week has flown by.  I can't believe it is nearly over.  I miss you bunches and bunches.  I love you above you!
Love, Mom




Dressing a wound


Luis was the first person I met in Guatemala.  He has grown quite a bit since then! 






Our friend in the middle picked this pose for us. 

Alex and J.R., who are to the left of Miriam, are WSU students who worked with us this week.  We were all impressed by their level of maturity and interest in our field.  Our work really had a positive affect on them, too.






No comments:

Post a Comment